With a new school year approaching I feel I need to address the importance of being a team with your child’s teacher. Having a good education is key to succeed in life. You as a parent need to work with your child’s teacher. A good parent-teacher relationship is imperative in the success of your child’s academic career.
So how do you establish a good parent-teacher relationship?
- Make sure you go to Open House & Meet the Teacher/Back to School Night
- Go to as many events throughout the school year.
- Attend a conference-Please show up for a parent-teacher conference is you are asked by your child’s teacher. When I was teaching I had a few parents just not show up. This is detrimental in the success of your child’s success.
- Communicate-Even if your child’s teacher doesn’t need to meet with you, you can still have communication with him/her. You can write a note or leave a message on a parent-teacher app if your school provides that form of communication. I have used Seesaw Family in the past and it is an amazing and easy way to stay connected with parents.
- Volunteer-You can also volunteer in your child’s classroom if you have any time to spare.
- Be an open book. Share what struggles you have at home, or even things that work great for you. Teachers can offer the best ideas or tips that can help your child tremendously whether this is at home or at school.
Teachers are there to help in any way they can. They are not just teaching your child math & reading, they are helping mold them into the children that will lead us into the future.